Please note there are no eggs in this recipe
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp cocoa
1 tbsp golden syrup
2 cups flour
1 cup coconut
2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
chocolate icing and extra coconut for decoration
1. Melt butter, sugar, cocoa and golden syrup in a large saucepan. Do not let it boil. Let it cool and then add flour, coconut, baking powder and salt.
2. Press into a greased and baking paper lined 22 x 30cm tin and bake 180degC for 20 minutes only.
3. Remove from oven and leave another 10 minutes and then ice with chocolate icing while still warm.
4. Sprinkle with extra coconut. Cut into squares and store in an airtight tin.
* At 20 mins in the oven it can still look slightly undercooked , but that’s great as it gives it a slight fudgy consistency.
** The better the cocoa the better the result here.
***So line the tin with baking paper makes slice removal so easy.
****This was made in a regular bake oven – if you only have fan bake reduce the temperature by 10 -20 deg . Also if you like your slice more moist – we have found in the test kitchen that 20 mins at 170degC will achieve that – try and see !