* Please note Aunty Iri uses a dessertspoon as her spoon of measure
8 large egg white
2 cups caster sugar
1 dsp malt vinegar
1 dsp vanilla
Place all ingredients into your Kenwood mixer bowl and beat it for 12-15 minutes till stiff. You will think it can’t possibly work but it does and place the mix onto a greased tray that you have previously splashed with a little cold water. Bake 150degC for 1/2 hour and then 100degC for 1 hour. Let it cool in oven and remove.
- Do not open the oven door during the cooking
* You do need to use your Kenwood free standing mixer with this recipe – do not think of doing this with a whisk or even manual egg beaters – you could use a hand held beater but you may like to sit down! Otherwise the free standing mixer means you can just walk away and come back.
* Make sure the mixer bowl is perfectly clean from any oils or residue as that will affect the volume of the meringue.
* Eggs are best separated straight from the fridge but beaten at room temperature.
* My preference is to top the pav with unsweetened whipped cream fresh fruit and passionfruit syrup. Tasti passionfruit syrup is so handy in the pantry.
*From experience pavs always sink down after cooking – so pile high the mix onto the tray and just adjust the cooking racks in the oven accordingly.