The great feature of this recipe is that you make the mix in advance and leave it in the fridge where it will last for a week. A wonderful stand-by over a long weekend if unexpected visitors arrive for breakfast or coffee.
3 cups bran
1 cup boiling water
2 large lightly beaten eggs
2 cups buttermilk
½ cup salad oil or ½ cup melted butter
1 cup sultanas or raisins
½ cup finely chopped apricots
¼ cup chopped walnuts (optional) or nut fusion mix
1 over-ripe banana, mashed
2 ½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ cup brown sugar
1 ½ cups flour
1 cup whole meal flour
1. Preheat the oven to 190degC fan bake and grease well your muffin pans.
2. In a large bowl mix bran with boiling water. Set aside until cool, and then add eggs, buttermilk and salad oil/melted butter, sultanas/raisins, apricots, walnuts and banana.
3. In a separate bowl, stir together baking soda, salt, sugar and flours. Blend thoroughly and stir into bran/fruit mixture.
4. Either bake now or store mix in fridge for up to a week in a tightly covered container.
5. Fan bake for 15 minutes for immediate use.
Cook’s tip: if you do not have buttermilk you can use I cup whole milk and 1 cup fruit yoghurt. Please note these are not an overly sweet muffin – increase the sugar slightly to 2/3 cup if you have a sweet tooth.