This salsa has at its base tomato sauce rather than fresh tomatoes – it may look and sound too intense but it is really amazing with these delicious traditional favourite eggs!
500g sausage meat
1 each lemon, zest only
2 tsp dried sage
4 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
6 hard boiled eggs
1/4 cup standard flour
2 eggs beaten
dry bread crumbs
oil for deep frying
1 cup tomato ketchup
1 large tomato, seeds removed and cut into small dice
2 spring onions, finely sliced
3 tbsp chopped parsley
¼ tsp crushed garlic
¼ tsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp mustard
2 tsp lemon juice
¼ tsp cumin
¼ tsp ground coriander
1. To make the sauce, simply stir all ingredients together in small bowl and refrigerate until needed
2. Mix sausage meat with lemon zest, dried sage and Parmesan cheese
3. Divide into 6 portions and flatten like thin burgers
4. Lightly dust eggs with flour, coat each egg with sausage meat. pressing and moulding on well.
5. Dip each in beaten egg and roll in breadcrumbs, repeat this process to double coat each egg.
6. Chill for at least an hour. Pour 4-5cm of oil into a deep frying pan and heat
7. Deep fry eggs in hot oil till golden brown on each side, turn over to cook and colour the other. Allowing 7-8 mins each side
8. Drain on paper towels. Cool and chill for up to 2 days if preparing in advance.
9. Serve at room temperature with the salsa and a crisp green salad.
To cook the perfect boiled egg, cover room temperature eggs with cold water, bring to a simmer then set the timer for 6 minutes. Drain and cool under plenty of cold running water. When cold, remove egg shells.