When R&B star Beyonce was in Auckland she asked for a batch of these everyday and even flew out with a few back to the US – who doesn’t love a blueberry muffin?
We tested this recipe and used Champion self raising flour and 1 tsp baking powder. Also these make a deliciously cake like muffin – no need to butter!
2 cups self raising flour
1 Tsp baking powder
¾ cup brown sugar (not tight packed)
¾ cup melted butter (cooled)
2 large eggs
¾ cup milk
2 cups blueberries
Sift the flour and baking powder, add sugar.
In another bowl combine the melted (cooled) butter, eggs and milk. Blend with a fork. Add to dry ingredients with the blueberries.
Bake 200 deg C for 15 minutes.
If you prefer fan bake 200 deg C fan bake for 10 minutes then turn off fan and bake at 200 deg C for another 5-8 minutes.
* Dusting with icing sugar looks great.
** If you use frozen berries it will take longer to bake. Keep an eye on them as fruit muffins go from perfectly cooked to over-done in a very short time at this temperature.
* Don’t panic – whether it be a mega star or the neighbour wanting hot muffins – they are simple to get right.
* Get the oven preheated – you want a good HOT oven and fan bake works well.
* Use good flour like Champion rather than generic house brand flour. Sift the flour.
* Once the wet ingredients are added to the dry do not over mix.
* Rather than using paper liners for the muffins tins – just grease well and sprinkle with a little flour – you get a better texture.