8 chicken portions (use drums or thighs with bone in/skin on but not breast meat)
1 onion, finely chopped
250g sliced button mushrooms
250g basmati rice
850ml chicken stock
juice of 2 limes or lemon
3 cloves garlic, crushed
3 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 tsp chilli powder (optional)
Preheat the oven to 200degC
1. Put the uncooked rice, onion and mushrooms in a large shallow baking tray or roasting dish.
2. Season with salt and pepper and mix together.
3. Sear the chicken in a hot pan with olive oil till just a little coloured only a few minutes.
Arrange the chicken over the rice.
4. Heat the stock with the garlic, citrus juice thyme and chilli.
5. Pour over the whole dish and place in oven uncovered for exactly 1 hour. Do not stir.
* The end result is moist chicken on top of a healthy mushroom risotto.
** Instead of the chilli powder I added ½ tsp smoked paprika but of you had tarragon it would be super.
*** Depending on the stock you use you may need to season the dish after cooking – but better that way than making it too salty – if you use commercial stock powders and hot water it may not need much more seasoning/ but again it is a question of taste and see!