When you first make this mix it appears a little runny for cookies, but leave on the bench for a few minutes and it “thickens up” for easier handling – please note it’s a wetter mix, as the cookies are almost “brownie” like in texture
125g butter, cubed
200g dark cooking chocolate, broken
3 eggs lightly beaten
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
11/4 cups Edmonds Gluten Free Plain Flour
½ cup cocoa
200g dark chocolate chips
½ cup roasted hazelnuts (optional) coarsely chopped
1 Preheat oven to 180deg conventional or 160degC fan forced. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper.
2. Put butter and chocolate into a small saucepan and stir over low hear until butter melts and mixture is smooth.
Pour into a large bowl and let it cool slightly.
3. Add eggs and brown sugar to chocolate mixture and stir well. Sift flour and cocoa together and add to the mixture, then add chocolate chips and hazelnuts. Stir to combine.
4. Place large tablespoonfuls of mixture onto the prepared trays, allowing room for spreading. Bake for 10 mins or until tops feel firm, swapping trays halfway through cooking time.
5. Stand on trays for 10 minutes and then place cookies on a wire rack to cool completely.
* To roast hazelnuts place in a baking dish in a hot oven for 10 minutes (keep an eye on them if your oven runs hot) and then place hot nuts in a clean and dry tea towel and rub vigorously and the skins will fall away – then drop!