These are super and you may think we have made a mistake with 80g melted butter but you do need it for these treats –served warm they are as good as a warm donut without all the extra work.
Makes 16 puffs Takes 30 minutes
2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
125g very cold butter
¾ cup milk
80g melted butter
½ cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1. Heat oven to 190degC fan bake.
2. Set out a baking tray, do not grease.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Grate the cold butter into the mix and blend with a knife or loosen with your hands till the mix is crumbly.
4. Stir in milk with a fork just until the mix holds together and forms a ball.
5. Turn dough onto a lightly floured bench and just knead very lightly just about 7 fold, press, turn movements.
6. After kneading – divide dough into 16 parts and roll each part into a smooth ball.
7. Place balls on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
8. Place melted butter in a bowl and the sugar and cinnamon combined in another bowl. While the scones are warm, remove from the tray and roll each in melted butter; then in the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
Serve straight away.