Imelda says this loaf is so easy and always works! After we tested it we could see the appeal – rich, moist dates with that coconut almost caramel topping – so good!
2 cups water
2 cups dates (roughly chopped)
2 tbsp baking soda
250g butter softened
21/2 cups caster sugar
3 cups flour
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 cups canned diced apples, drained
1 1/3 cup brown sugar
2 cups shredded coconut
175 ml milk
1. Bring water and dates to boil for two minutes. Add baking soda and set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 150degC fan bake.
3. Cream butter and sugar together, beat in eggs and add rest of ingredients and mix well.
4. Add the hot mixture mix gently, divide equally into lined tins.
5. Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer comes out cleanly.
6. Mix all topping ingredients in a pot till butter is melted (don’t boil mixture).
7. Placed on top of loafs return to oven (place a tray under the loaves) and bake for a further 20 – 25 min until golden and set.
* We opted for a slightly more golden coconut topping and cooked ours for 40 minutes but 15-20 mins will do if your oven runs hot oven.