Your four-legged friend will jump through hoops for this dog treat. Made from quality ingredients, it is nice to know exactly what goes into this canine snack. These also make a great gift at Christmas time for your dog-owner friends.
2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 tablespoon dried parsley or 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup peanut butter, crunchy or plain
1/2 cup water
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C. Lightly grease a couple of baking trays, or line them with greaseproof paper.
2. In a food processor add the flour, rolled oats, parsley, milk powder, and salt. Process until the mixture resembles sawdust.
3. Add the eggs and peanut butter, stirring to combine; the mixture will be crumbly.
4. Add enough water to bring the dough together; depending on the season, you may need to add a bit more in the cooler weather and a bit less in the summer time.
5. To make biscuits using a dog-bone cutter, roll the dough to a little over ½ a centimeter thick. Gather and re-roll the scraps, and continue to cut biscuits until you’ve used all the dough.
7. Bake the biscuits for about 40 to 60 minutes, baking the smaller biscuits for a shorter amount of time. When finished, the biscuits will be dark golden brown, and will be dry and crisp all the way through.
8. Remove the biscuits from the oven, and cool.
If you have bacon lying around, chop into tiny pieces and knead into the dough. Also try adding half a cup of grated carrots. Remember… these are a treat and not a substitute for food.