This simple festive twist on traditional plum pudding is a lot lighter and fresher tasting than the original, and can be made at least a day or two ahead if preferred.
Serve with premade custard mixed with a splash of Brandy if you like, however this addition if completely optional.
8 tsp strawberry jam ( heaped )
3 large black or red plums, stone removed
1 container premade custard – we like Meadow Fresh
2 cups sifted plain flour
1.5 cups soft brown sugar
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter at room temp
1 cup treacle
1 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 175C
2. Spray eight large ramekins or muffin tins with baking spray, add a heaped teaspoon of strawberry jam to each, then add a 2cm thick slice of plum
3. Place all dry ingredients into a mixer bowl, add the butter cut into small cubes and switch on until a crumble like texture is reached
4. Whisk all wet ingredients well together, then add to the mixing bowl and gently beat to a thick batter consistency.
5. Spoon enough pudding mix to just about fill each ramekin or muffin tin. Bake for 40-45 minutes until firm to the touch
6. Serve warm turned out onto plates with a little custard or whipped cream
Cooks Tip – These puddings will keep at least a week refrigerated. Warm in the oven to serve or a microwave. Don’t worry if you can’t find plums it works just as well with nectarines, peaches, fresh apricots