Our test kitchen made these delicious sausage rolls using reduced fat flakey pastry. Delicious without all the guilt!
Makes 40 approx. 5½ to 6 cm sausage rolls
Time: 45 mins
1 packet flaky pastry sheets (5 sheets)*
700 g sausage meat (we used beef sausage meat)
2 tsp. dried sage
1 onion very finely chopped
1 small peeled grated Granny Smith apple
¼ cup chopped parsley
1 medium carrot, grated
1 cup rolled oats
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
1 egg, beaten for egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 190degC fan bake.
- Mix sausage meat, sage, onion, apple, parsley, carrot, rolled oats, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Cut pastry sheets in half-length wise. Wet one long edge with water on a brush.
- Divide sausage meat mixture evenly between pastry sheets.
- Roll up tightly. Brush with egg. Cut each tube into 4 pieces.
- Place on greased tray with join underneath. Cut 2 slits on top of each sausage roll with a sharp knife.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
*We used Edmonds Reduced Fat (40% less fat) Flakey Pastry with excellent results.